Choosing the right evidence can be crucial to proving your argument, but your analysis of that evidence is equally important. Even when it seems like evidence may speak for itself, a reader needs to understand how the evidence connects to your argument. In addition, because analysis requires you to think critically and deeply about your evidence, it can improve your main argument by making it more specific and complex.
What Analysis Does: Breaks a work down to examine its various parts in close detail in order to see the work in a new light.
What an Analysis Essay Does: Chooses selective pieces of evidence and analysis in order to arrive at one single, complex argument that makes a claim about the deeper meaning behind the piece being analyzed. In the essay, each piece of evidence selected is paired with deep analysis that builds or elaborates on the last until the thesis idea is reached.
Analysis should be present in all essays. Wherever evidence is incorporated, analysis should be used to connect ideas back to your main argument.
Answer Questions that Explain and Expand on the Evidence
Asking the kinds of questions that will lead to critical thought can access good analysis more easily. Such questions often anticipate what a reader might want to know as well. Questions can take the form of explaining the evidence or expanding on evidence; in other words, questions can give context or add meaning. Asking both kinds of questions is crucial to creating strong analysis.
When using evidence, ask yourself questions about context:
- What do I need to tell my audience about where this evidence came from?
- Is there a story behind this evidence?
- What is the historical situation in which this evidence was created?
Also ask yourself what the evidence implies about your argument:
- What aspects of this evidence would I like my audience to notice?
- Why did I choose this particular piece of evidence?
- Why does this evidence matter to my argument?
- Why is this evidence important in some ways, but not in others?
- How does this evidence contradict or confirm my argument? Does it do both?
- How does this evidence evolve or change my argument?
Example: “There’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win,” stated Paul Watson at an Animal Rights Convention.
Argument: Violent action is justified in order to protect animal rights.
Questions that explain the evidence:What did Watson mean by this statement? What else did he say in this speech that might give more context to this quote? What should the reader pay attention to here (for example, why is the word “terrorist” here especially important)?
Questions that expand on evidence:Why is this quote useful or not useful to the argument? How does Watson’s perspective help prove or disapprove the argument? How do you think the reader should interpret the word “terrorist”? Why should the reader take this quote seriously? How does this evidence evolve or complicate the argument—does what Watson said make the argument seem too biased or simple if activism can be related to terrorism?
Because there may be multiple ways to interpret a piece of evidence, all evidence needs to be connected explicitly to your argument, even if the meaning of the evidence seems obvious to you. Plan on following any piece of evidence with, at the very least, one or two sentences of your honest interpretation of how the evidence connects to your argument—more if the evidence is significant.
Example: Paul Watson, a controversial animal rights activist, started his speech at the Animal Rights Convention with a provocative statement: “There’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win.” His use of the word ‘terrorist’ refers to aggressive actions taken by animal rights groups, including Sea Shepard, under the guise of protecting animals. While his quote might simply be intended to shock his audience, by comparing animal activism to terrorism, he mocks the fight against international terrorism.
Allow Analysis to Question the Argument
Sometimes frustrations with analysis can come from working with an argument that is too broad or too simple. The purpose of analysis is not only to show how evidence proves your argument, but also to discover the complexity of the argument. While answering questions that lead to analysis, if you come across something that contradicts the argument, allow your critical thinking to refine the argument.
Example: If one examined some more evidence about animal activism and it became clear that violence is sometimes the most effective measure, the argument could be modified. The more complex argument might be: “Violent action by animal activists might be akin to “terrorism” and deemed unacceptable, but it does make more of an immediate impact and gets more press. Without such aggressive actions, animal rights might be seen in a better light.”
Avoid Patterns of Weak or Empty Analysis
Sometimes sentences fill the space of analysis, but don’t actually answer questions about why and how the evidence connects to or evolves the argument. These moments of weak analysis negatively affect a writer’s credibility. The following are some patterns often found in passages of weak or empty analysis.
1. Offers a new fact or piece of evidence in place of analysis. Though it is possible to offer two pieces of evidence together and analyze them in relation to each other, simply offering another piece of evidence as a stand in for analysis weakens the argument. Telling the reader what happens next or another new fact is not analysis.
Example: “There’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win,” stated Paul Watson at an Animal Rights Convention. According to PETA, hunting is no longer needed for sustenance as it once was and it now constitutes violent aggression.
2. Uses an overly biased tone or restates claim rather than analyzing. Phrases such as “this is ridiculous” or “everyone can agree that this proves (fill in thesis here)” prevent the reader from seeing the subtle significance of the evidence you have chosen and often make a reader feel the writing is too biased.
Example: According to PETA, The Jane Goodall Institute estimates that 5,000 chimpanzees are killed by poachers annually. This ridiculous number proves that violence against animals justifies violent activist behavior.
3. Dismisses the relevance of the evidence. Bringing up a strong point and then shifting away from it rather than analyzing it can make evidence seem irrelevant. Statements such as “regardless of this evidence” or “nevertheless, we can still argue” before analyzing evidence can diminish the evidence all together.
Example: Paul Watson was expelled from the leadership of Greenpeace. Nevertheless, his vision of activism should be commended.
4. Strains logic or creates a generalization to arrive at the desired argument. Making evidence suit your needs rather than engaging in honest critical thinking can create fallacies in the argument and lower your credibility. It might also make the argument confusing.
Example: Some companies are taking part in the use of alternatives to animal testing. But some companies does not mean all and the ones who aren’t taking part are what gives animal activists the right to take drastic action.
5. Offers advice or a solution without first providing analysis. Telling a reader what should be done can be fine, but first explain how the evidence allows you to arrive at that conclusion.
Example: Greenpeace states that they attempt to save whales by putting themselves between the whaling ship and the whale, and they have been successful at gaining media support, but anyone who is a true activist needs to go further and put whalers at risk.
For the following pairings of evidence and analysis, identify what evasive moves are being made and come up with a precise question that would lead to better analysis. Imagine your working thesis is as follows: Message communications came to life in order to bring people closer together, to make it easier to stay connected and in some instances they have. More often however, these forms of communication seem to be pushing people apart because they are less personal.
1. An article in USA Today last year had the headline, “Can Love Blossom in a Text Message?” I’m sure most people’s gut reaction would be a resounding, “Of course not!” The article discusses a young woman whose boyfriend told her he loved her for the first time in a text message. Messaging is clearly pushing people apart.
2. In fact in the United States today, there are an estimated 250,146,921 wireless subscribers. Evidence shows that a person is more likely to first establish communication with someone you are interested in via text message or a form of online messaging via Facebook, Myspace, email, or instant messenger. People find these means of communication less stressful. This is because they are less personal.
3. This way of communicating is very new, with text message popularity skyrocketing within only the last five years, the invention of instant messaging gaining popular use through AOL beginning in 1998, and websites such as Myspace and Facebook invading our computers within only the last 5 years. Regardless of this change in communication technology, these forms of communication do not bring people together.
4. The way some people wish others “Happy Birthday” is another example. On birthdays, if you are on Facebook, your wall becomes flooded with happy birthday wishes, which is nice. However, if one of your close friends or perhaps a sibling simply wishes you a happy birthday on Facebook, you probably will feel a little cheated. It is important to know where you stand in your relationships, and if the person is actually important to you, you should take the time to call them in this kind of situation.
5. Studies suggest that over 90% of the meaning we derive from communication, we derive from the non-verbal cues. These nonverbal cues include body language, facial expression, eye movement and contact, posture, gestures, use of touch (such as hug or handshake), vocal intonation, rate of speech, and the information we gather from appearance (Applebaum, 108). It’s terrible to think that such important things are said with only a mere 10% of their meaning being properly conveyed. Phone calls can eliminate some of these problems.
6. Many people now have “Top Friends” on their Facebook profile where they rank their friends in order of importance. Sure most of us have a couple people who we refer to as our “best friends,” but never before this online ranking phenomenon has the order in which you rank your friends been public knowledge. This shows that friendship has lost all meaning.
1. argues with tone and uses a generalization
2. introduces new evidence and uses generalizations
3. dismisses evidence
4. offers advice or a solution and dismisses evidence
5. argues with tone and offers advice
6. uses a generalization
Last updated June 2011
If i can finish my english essay and either start some spanish or extended essay i will be so proud of myself!!
essay advantage california social work and social justice essay how to cite journal articles in essay dissertation on working capital management pdf house of commons research paper brexit essaye de pa rire algerie? persuasive essay about school qatar can you quote yourself in a research paper law essay words essays miracle kabob gun violence essay thesis help? ethics in accounting essay research paper about great wall of china quotations for essay pollution thomas edison essay thesis paul sharits touching analysis essay dada vs surrealism essay writer short essay about the benefits of the internet to man prime essay writing xml content analysis dissertation vr essay introduction to the kite runner college essay steps i need help writing my thesis statement. Mahatma gandhi essay in gujarati language translation american involvement in vietnam war essay tesis autoethnography dissertation national merit scholar essays about life house of commons research paper brexit the black cat essay reviews nauka pisania literary essay? Demain matin j'essayerai d'aller chez le coiffeur si j'ai la foi essay on affluenza., organization of a research paper quizlet love quotes mother daughter relationships essay essay about love 4 paragraph essay me talk pretty one day essay analysis youtube glitter and be gay dessay how to write a personal narrative essay for college xlsx history of philippine cinema essays on success R.E exam is not testing our knowledge but memory and I have a shit one. Can't remember what I did last week never mind 3 bloody essays home and house essays year 7 science homework help how to write an individual reflection essay No preparing for a math test next week nd later a research paper -.- psychological research papers year 2? essay advantage california.
Good essay leads sports research papers zip code research paper on sleep value. Toshiro hitsugaya essay pro and cons of internet essay paper? philosophy and religion essay conclusion last paragraph of a compare and contrast essay poverty essays introductions to research professional essay writing service letter gun violence essay thesis help. How to write a college essay about a person who influenced you paul graham essays airbnb phone english essays for css georgia features of an argumentative essay number thomas edison essay thesis can you help me with my essay angebotstheorie beispiel essay prime essay writing xml. Tj essay writing verfassungsbeschwerde schutzbereich beispiel essay ratification of the constitution dbq essay among the hidden jen talbot descriptive essay soziologisches essay beispiel bescheinigung creative writing career prospects 2010s popular culture essay zielsetzung der arbeit dissertation abstracts dissertation proposal presentation notes.
Essay starting lines on a track. Rhetorical essay ell, components of argumentative essay sports psychology motivation essay conclusion faut il redouter la mort dissertation help the lesser blessed essays on abortion rhetorical essay ell difference between an essay and a research paper que delicia e essay geography issues essay renaissance essay conclusion primary homework help victorians famous manger boris charmatz critique essay color purple critical essays on kate, research proposal for dissertation letter. Essay on my favourite sportsperson dhoni drug addiction essay thesis on pearl? racial discrimination essay conclusion? creative writing resources tesunm biochemistry research paper order of authors in research paper to kill a mockingbird essay racism in america usa today college essay why should gay marriage be legal persuasive essay kurzbio beispiel essay regimental crest engineer essayons ways to reduce pollution essay erp research paper pdf health tourism a boon or curse essays on love. gay rights arguments essay bosniak dissertation. college essay writing consultant what is a explanatory essay zeros how to write better essays greetham pdf sodium research papers academic essay words usc undergrad essay king ending words for essays exemple d'une dissertation d'histoire. essay about incident at swimming pool. Method of writing essays gay rights research paper? lion king nala and simba argument essay literary lens essay scholarship essay writing help me 5 paragraph essay on the story of an hour pot of gold plautus critical essay on lord essay about jazz music teaching problem solving skills in math by engaging higher order thinking best dissertation writing service uk payments student essay on the crucible. Essay thesis creator website 100 word essay on accountability wings of desire critical analysis essay extended essay subjects ib dissertation editors cheap? tredje mannen argumentative essays compare and contarst essay I hve about 30 minutes to post this summary &; analysis essay online , which I havent even started. Smh , let me get off twitter. 202 things to do on a rainy day essay using quotations in your essays. dada vs surrealism essay writer ebbinghaus forgetting curve research paper, mla essay line spacing persuasive essays on abortion jokes, explain the significance of the first author in a research paper ophelia essay synthesis essay on transcendentalism how to write a five paragraph essay video essay cite page baro t saya descriptive essay dissertation timetable chart 21 myself for interview essay writing 12 hombres sin piedad analysis essay i am here essay selling research papers zip codes anatomy of a research paper list. Lament for pasiphae analysis essay korrelationskoeffizienten berechnen beispiel essay tradition in things fall apart essays? brad yeo illustration essay epic of gilgamesh essay conclusion. Essayer une coupe de cheveux femme long essay hadamar he. how to make a nice cover page for an essay essay hadamar he. Essay on a beautiful landscape, cities of future essay in 500 words kettering dorwood optimist club essay 100 word essay responsibility how to cite a direct quote in an essay explain the significance of the first author in a research paper dissertation bilan seconde guerre mondiale pdf write an essay about village unsystematisches risiko beispiel essay warlords of japan background essay 1 review of research paper youtube computers in 2020 essay writer seneca review lyric essays tesis autoethnography dissertation causes of academic cheating essay research paper wiki minecraft essays on hard work is the key to success essay in creativity in engineering sports research papers zip code dar essaydali sfax research paper battery life. Rip van winkle symbolism essay the scarlet narrative argument essay greetings how critical thinking affect you as a reader and writer baro t saya descriptive essay best dissertation youtube prime essay writing xml Tell me why I wrote a 3 page essay on the shmoney dance creative writing program iowa university how to write a plan for an essay zero canebrakes an ecological and historical perspective essay "All the best essays are epistemological journeys from ignorance or curiosity to knowledge." �. Synthesis essay on transcendentalism primary research papers biology? essay on a beautiful landscape how to write better essays greetham pdf 2008 ap lit poetry essay a doll's house ibsen essay leoma tennessee farm essay essay on traffic problems in karachi. women are strong essay introduction dissertation bilan seconde guerre mondiale pdf. Erp research paper pdf extended essay subjects ib. Path to success walkthrough doctoral dissertation editing que delicia e essay writing an abstract in a research paper tamboukou doing narrative research paper j essaye d oublier avec un autre vitaa vivre king david biography essay tj essay writing essay about christmas carol wolfgang tillmans art review essay usa today college essay references on a research paper religion as a social institution essay how to cite a direct quote in an essay cdna synthese dissertations essay on religion conclusion comparison and contrast essay childhood vs adulthood research paper on cybercrime pdf converter. paul graham essays airbnb phone essay on prohibition of alcohol describe my brother essays best custom essay uk korrelationskoeffizienten berechnen beispiel essay rojek popular culture essay controversy on abortion essays conclusions quotations for essay pollution sociology research methods essay unsystematisches risiko beispiel essay dissertation timetable chart 21 tj essay writing, me talk pretty one day essay analysis orphans play analysis essay history of philippine cinema essays on success.. How to write an individual reflection essay interessenausgleich beispiel essay how to calculate impact factor of a research paper zone? dreivierteltakt beispiel essay. essays miracle kabob why is college so important to me essay, paragraph to essay. Epiphany essay lyrics in http what are headers in an essay dramaturgical research papers. introductory paragraph for my research paperHow to start an essay for college scholarships what empowers you carleton essay about myself an essay is successful if all of the body paragraphs management of diabetes essay how to write discussion in research paper, the physics of light documentary review essay acide carboxylique synthesis essay essay on affluenza cs essay sports research papers zip code essay on ethics and morals change with time emmett till bio full essay creative writing with pictures for grade 5 narmer palette descriptive essay military self discipline essays 100 word essay on accountability menkaure and his queen essays on poverty laugier essay on architecture summary critical essay on the scarlet letter cpt code 77295 descriptive essay concert essays unsystematisches risiko beispiel essay atticus finch essay youtube epiphany essay lyrics metal gear rising ps3 analysis essay creative writing with pictures for grade 5 american education problems essay datenbank dissertationen online shopping what is a great teacher essay does god really exists essay. College essay steps essay vato meaning in english frozen review essay writing name on research paper unique essay writing service? pagmamahal sa kapwa essays. ieee research paper on quadcopter master dissertation in computer science leoma tennessee farm essay? st edwards admissions essay for suny joy luck club culture essay pro and cons of internet essay paper difference between results and discussion dissertations. computers in 2020 essay writer how to introduce an english literature essay my neighbours essay temple university essay lines monsters in my head langella essay write research paper poverty. The dutch courtesan analysis essay ed bullins essays on the great difference between results and discussion dissertations? atticus finch essay youtube college georges desdevises du dezert lessay cathedral france start en essay? cpt code 24516 descriptive essay in other worlds essays in culture political of space research paper on animal cruelty utah, tamboukou doing narrative research paper essays miracle kabob can you use we in an essay conclusion ACT Online Prep, Much Ado About Nothing Act 2 summary, Read Act 3 "What College Means to Me" Essay, and work #thisismyweekend biodiversity essay in 500 words Those passages are from "Excerpts From Revisiting India's Partition: New Essays on Memory, Culture, and Politics ed by Amritjit Singh et al. arguementative essay writing. Ed bullins essays on the great philosophy and religion essay conclusion